SDMX Users Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Expressing reference data in SDMX  (Read 7995 times)

Erik van Ingen - FAO

• OpenSDMX
    • View Profile
    • OpenSDMX
Expressing reference data in SDMX
« on: August 02, 2012, 11:27:25 PM »

What my group considers as part of reference data is the mapping of different codes. For instance the different country codelists:
  • ISO ALPHA-2 Code
  • ISO ALPHA-3 Code
  • UN Country Code
  • etc.
We map these codes in our internal system and would like to express them in SDMX. We do the same for species, commodities, etc.

My idea would be that a hierarchical codelist would be the appropriate SDMX artifact in order to express all the different codes of the same 'thing'. So one hierarchical codelist to express the mappings of all the different country codes.

Would that be correct or are there other SDMX best practices to do so?
Re: Expressing reference data in SDMX
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 03:47:57 AM »

Hi Erik,

I don't know whar would be the correct way, but I know there is a way of mapping different codes. IMF is using this and you see the example from the SDMX webservice here:

http://sdmxws.imf.org/Gateway/

In the left side there is a menu and the menu item "Structure Set Query (mapping)" will give you 3 different queries that returns the mapping as a StructureSets according to the SDMX 2.0 standard.

When you click the query link you get the SDMX query in the right side and then you just push the button "Download SDMX" and this will return the result in SDMX.

Hope this is useful.

Best regards,

Ole

Erik van Ingen - FAO

• OpenSDMX
    • View Profile
    • OpenSDMX
Re: Expressing reference data in SDMX
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 04:53:27 AM »

Thank you for pointing me to StructureSet, very interesting and could be the way to go forward.

It would not solve all of my requirements though, I will try to explain, giving this table:
CL1CL2CL3
thing1AK
thing2LX
The table shows three code lists, having codes for 'things'. A code list covers fully or partially all 'things'.

What I would like to do is just to show all 'things' expressed in their code mappings, thus avoiding using one code list as the reference list where others refer to.

<thing>
   <codeCL1>A</codeCL1>
   <codeCL2>K</codeCL2>
</thing>
<thing>
   <codeCL2>L</codeCL2>
   <codeCL3>X</codeCL3>
</thing>

Would this be possible in SDMX and if yes, how?

« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 10:33:11 PM by Erik van Ingen - FAO »