SDMX Users Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: SAS and SDMX  (Read 11880 times)

Christine Sommo - FRBNY

• View Profile
SAS and SDMX
« on: April 19, 2010, 10:50:27 AM »

Hello all,

Does anyone have experience in generating SDMX-ML from SAS?
We lack that knowledge here at the New York Fed and would appreciate any assistance you might be willing to offer.

Thanks!
Christine

Re: SAS and SDMX
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 01:11:48 AM »

Hello,

Hello all,

Does anyone have experience in generating SDMX-ML from SAS?
We lack that knowledge here at the New York Fed and would appreciate any assistance you might be willing to offer.

Thanks!
Christine

I am not familiar with SAS so I don't know if the following are valid and/or if they are a good solution for generating SDMX-ML from SAS.

• If you can convert SAS datasets to CSV then you could use the Eurostat SDMX Converter to convert the CSV to SDMX-ML.
    You can download SDMX Converter from http://forge.osor.eu/projects/sdmx-converter/
  • If you can access SAS datasets as a database e.g. by using SAS ODBC drivers, it might be possible to use Eurostat's SDMX Reference Architecture (or some parts of it).
    You can find it at http://sdmx.org/?page_id=13 + Frameworks and toolkits for working with SDMX + Eurostat

Cheers
Tasos

p.s. Both SDMX Converter and  SDMX Reference Architecture are open source.

Christine Sommo - FRBNY

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 06:05:18 AM »

Tasos,

Thanks so much for your reply!

We're hoping to skip the CSV entirely. I'm trying to determine if there is a way to write code in SAS to generate only an SDMX-ML file as the output.
I'm not a database person (or really, even a stats or SAS person!) so I'll check with some others here on that suggestion.

Thanks again,
Christine

jaydev - SNZ

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 03:35:38 PM »

Hi Christine,

I have achieved this at StatsNZ in a non-production environment.
I had to change the SAS Code a little so that I could initially shape the data into a basic XML output using libxml.
I then used the proc xsl to convert to SDMX using an external stylesheet.

The stylesheet imports another xml configuration file which effectively defines patterns of SDMX Concepts and their respective values, these are pulled together by the xslt on the matching data value names from the first SAS XML output.

We create the XML Configuration using an Excel Plugin which allows the user to describe the SAS output by associating the SDMX concepts from the chosen DSD, and also by defining a group hierarchy in which the concepts should exist (so some exist across the whole dataset, some at a table level, some at a cell range, some single cell etc..)

It sounds a little complex but we do have it working.  Our future goal is to make the creation of the configuration file a better user experience by linking directly to the SAS Dataset so we can dynamically retreive the data shape.

Get in touch and I can try to help out.
Cheers ...Jay

Christine Sommo - FRBNY

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 05:08:37 PM »

Jay,

I agree. It does sound a little complex!  ;)

But you've certainly made more progress than we have. I have to go back and check on what we implemented to get around this problem. I may take you up on the offer and be in touch.

Thanks!
Christine